Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thanksgiving Part 1



In the USA, Thanksgiving Day is celebrated on the fourth Thursday in November. The first Thanksgiving in the USA was a feast in 1621 shared by the Pilgrims (who had recently settled Plymouth Colony in what is now Massachusetts) and the Wampanoag Indians, who shared their corn, squash, and wild turkeys. This first feast was not repeated until over a decade later. Thanksgiving was declared a national holiday in 1863 by President Abraham Lincoln (my favorite president)




No matter what your circumstances are I'm sure we have something or somethings to be thankful for. I have so much to be thankful for this season because this year turned out to be my very best year yet. Anyway what are you cooking for Thanksgiving? Please feel free to send me pictures of your Thanksgiving table, I will be doing a post-Thanksgiving blog post and will love to showcase all your lovely pictures.

This year we are going African. Stay tuned for pictures in the next blog. Here are my 3 favorite routines for keeping the pounds away during this season:

1. Exercise: This will be easy for those who already exercise regularly. Exercising first thing in the morning keeps me aware of whatever I put in my mouth throughout the day.

2. Divide and conquer: My Thanksgiving plate is always half filled with veggies and salads, I actually consciously eat a big plate of salad fist before I eat anything else, it keeps me full and whatever I eat next is usually a smaller portion.

3. Don't drink your calories: My favorite drink is water, ask anyone who knows me. Stay away from the sodas and alcohol. If you want something sweet try a raw or vegan dessert or a fruit and yogurt combo with some nuts or if you have enough self-control go for the dessert but drink a lot of water before you get a slice.


RAW MANGO PIE





Crust:
* 2 cups raw almonds (or walnuts or pecans)
* 1 cup unsweetened shredded dried coconut
* 1/2 cup pitted dates

In a food processor, process the nuts and coconut together until the lumps are gone. Do not over process. Add the dates and process until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs that stick together. Press into a pie plate.

Filling:
* 2 fresh mangos, peeled and cut up
* 1/2 cup dried mangos, (cut into pieces with scissors), soak 10 minutes and drain sliced kiwifruit, raspberries or blueberries (optional)

In a blender, process the fresh and soaked dried mangoes until smooth pudding consistency. Pour into the crust and decorate with kiwifruit, raspberries or blueberries if you wish.


Here's a little something that cracked me up:


 A BLESSING FOR YOU THIS SEASON

May the road rise up to meet you.

May the wind be always at your back.

May the sun shine warm upon your face;

the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,

may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

ALWAYS STRIVE TO BE HAPPY


REMEMBER TO EAT AND DRINK TO YOUR HEALTH, YOU'LL THANK ME LATER!

No comments:

Post a Comment